Carrots & parsnips made AMAZING
One advantage of going plant-based: you gotta make veggies interesting. Gone are the days of steaming or (heaven forbid) BOILING all your veg.
Enter: the magic of roasting!
This delicious side dish with roasted carrots and parsnips is the perfect complement to belly-warming mains like lentil shepherd’s pie, vegetable lasangne, or apricot nut roast.
Here’s a breakdown of the goodness inside:
- Carrots: great source of vitamins A, K, and potassium
- Parsnips: rich in various antioxidants, including vitamin C
- Cumin: has an anti-inflammatory effect on the body
- Coriander: packed with immune-boosting antioxidants
- Turmeric: anti-inflammatory and contains antioxidants (there’s a pattern emerging here)
You’ll never want root veg any other way again!
Spiced & Roasted Root Veggies
- 1kg carrots
- 750g parsnips
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 220°C (gas mark 7) and line 1-2 baking trays with baking paper (depending on how big your oven is and how many veggie pieces you end up with).
- Combine all the spices (cumin seeds, cumin powder, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, garlic) into a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel the carrots and parsnips, then cut them into similar-sized shapes and lay onto the baking trays before drizzling with olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture all over the root veggies and ensure each piece is evenly coated – using your hands is easiest, but you could also use a spoon.
- Roast for 50 minutes until veggies are tender and brown around the edges, then serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Let us know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and post your creation on Instagram using #theglowingvegan